Platform: Xbox One / PS4 / Xbox Seriez X / PS5 / PC
Studio: Ubisoft Annecy & co
Period I spent on the project: From July 2018 (concept) to January 2020 (alpha)
– Working with Leads to propose and design workflow improvements and new tools for the level design team to build world and layouts, including procedural rules, procedural systems’ inteconnections and tool’s UI.
– Working with tools programmers and technical artists to develop new proefficient procedural tools to generate gameplay objects (ramps, jumps, wooden paths, etc), complex procedural road generation based on rational level design rules and manual road editing for bike and ski layouts.
– Iterating with tool developers (testing and feedback loop)
– Trying to balance procedural presets for road generation
QUEST EDITOR & FLOW EDITOR
– Designing improvements for the new quest editor, adapting the inherited tool (from another Ubisoft project) to the Riders’ Republic specific needs
– Working in close relationship with programmers to build the tools and the visual scripting elements & logic
– Building the first game events (playable content/missions) as proof of concept
– Delivering and maintaining quest templates and scripts to be used by level designers and mission integrators.
EXPLORATION CONTENT PREFABS
– Prototyping exploration features (workshops interactions, teleports, ski lifts, etc) using the in-house visual scripting system
– Iterating on the implementation of exploration features with gameplay programmers
TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION & TEAM TRAINING
– Creating and maintaining the technical documentation for each individual tool to ease their use by level designers and create a centralized knowledge center for dos and donts.
– Creating video tutorials to explain the creation of quests steps by step
– Creating dedicated trainings on tools
– Training each level designer on the new processes and tools until they are « production ready »
– Being a support to the level design team and to the lead level designer
RATIONAL LEVEL DESIGN
– Working with game designers and level designers to put in place a rational design methodology to create content for the different sports in the game